singapore: the hidden good
I feel so grateful when people think of me with @best.world.ever and connect me with something or someone they think I would like. Before coming to Singapore, Warren connected me with Jiezhen, his friend from school, who is the Executive Director for The Hidden Good in Singapore.
The Hidden Good was started to challenge the pre-conceived notion that people in Singapore are selfish and unfriendly. The Hidden Good works to uncover and show all of the good things happening out there. It takes the small good deeds and random acts of kindness and shows them to the world so they do not go unnoticed. The Hidden Good has conducted over 75 projects with over 40 partners spreading endless joy and happiness.
Warren and I went on Friday to meet Jiezhen and some of the members of her team at their co-working space “Corridor.” I love these open-space concepts that are enable collaboration. The Hidden Good partners with media partners in the space- so cool how close and accessible they are! We even met in the “yellow room!” So happy!
I love The Hidden Good’s values of “creativity can change the world,” “collective power,” and “small things matter.” I love the empowerment, positivity and goodness they bring to the world! Some of my favorite activations that The Hidden Good has done are:
- Partnership with Coca Cola to spread joy and facilitate neighbors getting to know each other through an elevator game show
- Pay with a Question Café with National Youth Council to get youths to ask a question and start conversation
- Leap Day date that challenges gender stereotypes (plus I love Leap Day!)
These are just a few! The Hidden Good covers a variety of topics and brings awareness, fun and goodness to life.
Upon leaving, Jiezchen gave Warren and I a toolkit for writing down inspiration and ideas. I was motivated simply holding it and could not wait to doodle and write in it. Here are some of the quotes written in it that I loved:
- “My favorite thing to do is go where I’ve never been.” – Diane Arbus
- “You bring out the best in yourself by looking for the best in others.” – Gene Bell
- “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud!” – Maya Angelou
- “It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” – Aristotle
- “When nothing is sure, everything is possible! – Margaret Drabble
- “The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.” – Dalai Lama
- “ Yay! You did it!! Now, go make the world a better place!!”
I love The Hidden Good’s essence and the happy vibes it radiates. I love the passion and determination to show all of the good in the world. I loved hearing from Jiezhen about her experiences and her and her team’s relentless pursuit at challenging negative notions. I love The Hidden Good!!
I highly recommend checking out The Hidden Good on Facebook!! The videos are incredible uplifting, inspiring and happy. They will absolutely brighten your day and bring a smile to your face!