new delhi & agra, india: reflection
Wonder of this beautiful country. Wonder of the history. Wonder of the culture. Wonder that Ali and I are in India together!! And FIRST wonder of the world!!
Moments of Wonder:
- My friend Bhavya from Maryland texted me when he saw a photo I posted of being in India. He had previously been in San Francisco (luckily for a little when I was) and is back in Delhi for a few months. We met him the first night for drinks and it was SO amazing to see him! I love traveling!! Such great surprises :)
- Seeing the beautiful sights of Delhi in person. The Red Fort, Humayun's Tomb, Lotus Temple. The beauty of each completely took our breath away.
- Raju!! Our driver for 3 days from Delhi to Agra. He was the BEST! He made us feel so safe and always looked out for us with a big waving smile when we left a sight. Grateful for our new friend.
- Dinner at Olive with Ali. This has been one of my most treasured memories while traveling. Ali and I went to this beautiful restaurant, sat outside under the canopy of trees and the moon. The ambiance and food were astounding and even better the conversation. Ali, one of my longest friends, is always my rock and makes me infinitely more grounded and happier. We haven't had this much time together in nearly ten years so it was so amazing to just be. together!!So grateful for her!
- Dilli Haat Market: Gorgeous arts and crafts! Such stunning work. Ali got a few incredible pieces of art and a tapestry for her house. I cannot wait to visit and see it in person. She even hung the fish one up in "my room" aligning with me being a Pisces ;).
- TAJ MAHAL! WOW. WOW. WOW. Our guide Ravi told us in ten years we were the only ones to see the Taj Mahal at sunset, night and sunrise. We felt so lucky and grateful! The first sunrise view was beautiful from the gardens across the water. Very empty so it was nice to have space to see from afar. Then, we got tickets to the Night Tour. This only happens 5 days of the month around the full moon (thanks, Aashay's aunt for telling us). This was SO. EPIC! Only 30 of us were let in at a time to see it. The rest, fully closed. Only naturally lit, orange and red came up from the bottom of the earth lighting the Taj Mahal. The moon up behind us. We were blown away. In the morning, we arrived at 5:30 for sunrise. Perfect temperature out, blue skies, the sun peaking through. We walked around in awe and then went inside the Taj Mahal. The feeling of being in one of the wonders of the world was indescribable.
- The other beautiful sights of Agra! The forts and tombs similar to that in Delhi were stunning. It was so nice to have our guide Ravi to tell us about the history of each. Such a different time!
- 2 weeks in India. 5 cities. What an amazing experience filled with great friends. Friends who are family. XX